Saturday, August 8, 2009

An experiment: Fantasy Football by democracy

Coaches and team owners are fond of telling us that a football team is not a democracy. The coach decides who plays, the general manager decides who gets an extension and who gets traded, and the owner decides where to put the Jumbotron in the new taxpayer-funded stadium. (Well, that's another story for another time.)

This little project is meant to change that. We are going to run a National Football League fantasy football team. And by "we," I mean we the people of the Internet.

I've been playing fantasy football for a while, and I've always done my best to listen to the self-appointed experts when making decisions about my lineup. Sometimes the advice was sound, but just as often the advice persuaded me to bench the star of the week. After this happens to you enough, you start to wonder why buy the magazines, subscribe to the Web sites and tune in to listen to them. Wouldn't your odds of winning be just as good if you asked your neighbor who to start?

This project will find out the answer. Here's how: I will set up a free fantasy football team, and I will make my decisions about running it by running polls on this blog. You, the Internet, will decide who I draft, who I start, what trades I make, and everything else. You, the Internet, will determine this team's fate.

The first step is to pick a Web site for this team. The first poll will ask which site I should use. Thanks for voting. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on over my shoulder.

[polldaddy poll=1855570]

No comments:

Post a Comment